Saturday, June 9, 2007

Feeling Right At Home




After our last meeting on Thursday, a local farmer named Ibrahim invited us to his farm along the road. He had not, as many had, invested in a new cement brick farmhouse, but apparently "plowed" his money back into his farm, which was JUST AMAZING! He proudly pointed to tall trees in the distance and said that his farms were, "all the way there"! He in fact owns four different farms, including one in Bagomoyo, which is hours north of Dar es Salaam.

He also serves as a "farmer-motivator" who has received extra training from HPI in livestock keeping and farming, and in turn is responsible for providing extra training to the other farmers. He sure must've learned SOMETHING, cuz his place was fine! He had goats, as well as his own chickens, turkeys (the first i'd seen in this country), ducks, pigeons, and even two guinea hens! It made me miss my "Dream Hometown", Beebe Arkansas!

His "man" climbed several trees, and before i knew it, i was being fed fresh coconut, papaya and passion fruit for lunch, as well as given some for my travels back to Dar! "Vizuri sana!" The pictures are me-stuffing my face, Ibrahim and his wife, and the view as you walk out from the front of his house. I told him that, to many folks this would look like the road to paradise! He smiled proudly.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chandle said...

Sounds great, Paul. Keep up the good work.

June 27, 2007 at 6:08 AM  
Blogger Chandle said...

P.S. you look like you're getting skinny!

June 28, 2007 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger ossupov said...

I enjoyed reading your Ibrahim story. By the way, Ibrahim is my favorite male friend. Please tell him that :)

And I also live in Darussalam, but Naggroe Aceh Darussalam, hehehe :)

I talked to Julie and Lollie the other day, Lollie was so excited because she just got her ear pierced :) She's an angel. I miss her so much!!!! Take care Paul, I miss you too so much.

July 12, 2007 at 11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home